What do we do with leaves & grass clippings?
Bagged grass clippings or bagged leaves may also be dropped off at Public Works during regular hours (Monday thru Friday, 7am to 4pm), free of charge, 5-bag limit per visit. They may also be dropped of at the Hatch Hill Solid Waste Disposal Facility, Tuesday through Saturday, 8:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m., free of charge.
How do I dispose of my LED bulbs?
How do I dispose of, or recycle old paint?
- Up to 5 gallons of paint can be recycled at any one time (if you have more, please contact the store to see if they can accept larger quantities).
- Types of paint accepted:
- Interior & exterior architectural paints: latex, acrylic, water-based, alkyd, oil-based & enamel (including textured coating)
- Deck coatings & floor paints
- Primers, Stains, Sealers, Undercoats
- Shellacs, lacquers, varnishes, urethanes
- go to http://www.paintcare.org/ for more information on products accepted and NOT ACCEPTED.
- Cost: there is no cost for recycling (drop-off) of the paint; however there is now what is called a Paint Stewardship Assessment fee that is charged when you purchase paint - the State of Maine Paint Care program has a fee structure that is the same as the fee structure approved & used in California, Connecticut, Oregon, Minnesota, Rhode Island & Vermont. This fee helps alleviate the cost of recycling the used paint. If you have more questions on this Paint Stewardship Assessment - please go to the State of Maine website: www.maine.gov/dep/sustainability/productstewardship/rev_PaintCare_Maine_plan.pdf.
- $.35 for pints & quarts
- $.75 for 1 gallon cans
- $1.60 for 5 gallon buckets
- These fees went into effect Oct 1, 2015.
- Locations accepting paint for recycling: Currently in Augusta there are (2) locations:
- Aubuchon Hardware- Bangor Street
- Sherwin-Williams - Western Avenue
- click here for other facilities in Maine
Attached you will find various information on this program
What day is my collection day?
What can I recycle in the single source program?
and is a DROP-OFF program with locations of the Single Source Drop-Off containers as follows:
Public Works 55 North Street (Monday-Friday 7am-4pm) - closed Saturday & Sunday and all legal holidays. Augusta Residents ONLY
City Center, back parking lot - open 24/7 - Augusta Residents ONLY
Buker Center - back parking lot - south end of playground - 24/7 Augusta Residents ONLY
Hatch Hill Landfill - 112 Hatch Hill Road (Tuesday - Saturday 8am-4pm) closed Sunday & Monday and all legal holidays. All Contracting Communities
Watch our facebook, twitter and website for any updated information
How do I get rid of bulky items (wood, dryers, large furniture, etc.)?
There are two options:
Items can be brought to the Hatch Hill Solid Waste Disposal Facility. A residential Pass or Permit is required and a fee is assessed based on the material you have and how much it weighs. For more detailed information, visit the Solid Waste Bureau's website.
Hire a company that does hauling and debris removal to haul the items to Hatch Hill. For a list of companies look under “Garbage or Refuse Removal” in the Yellow Pages.
note: As of 2014, Spring Cleanup and Leaf Collection weeks are no longer being offered.
How do I recycle batteries and universal waste items (i.e., tv's, computer monitors, & other items containing mercury)?
Is there a drop-off site for recyclables?
City Center - in the back parking lot (16 Cony Street) - open 24/7
Buker Center - rear of building near south end of playground - open 24/7
Pubic Works - 55 North Street Monday-Friday 7am-4pm - closed weekends & all legal holidays
There is no charge @the above locations
Hatch Hill Landfill - 112 Hatch Hill Rd - Tuesday-Saturday 8am-4pm - there is a minimal fee
What can be placed curbside for rubbish collection?
Items may be placed at the curb after 4:00 p.m. the day before your collection day but must be at the curb by 7:00 a.m. on your scheduled pick-up day. Containers need to be removed from the curbside by 9:00 p.m. the day of collection.
Rubbish needs to be in whole plastic bags that are tied with a minimum of four (4) cubic feet capacity. Plastic bags may be placed at the curb or in metal or plastic garbage cans. The city is not responsible for damage or lost metal or plastic containers or for loose rubbish that falls out of torn plastic bags. Weight limit for a container or bag is 100 pounds.
What refuse services are provided?
When does my rubbish get picked up if there is a holiday?
CLICK HERE FOR 2017 HOLIDAY COLLECTION
When will a spring clean-up day be held?
SPRING & LEAF CLEANUP
As of 2014, Cleanup Weeks and Spring Leaf Collection will no longer be offered. If you have items that you wish to dispose of that are not part of the regular weekly rubbish collection, a couple of options are:
- Take your items to the Hatch Hill Landfill. 3-trip residential passes are available at the scale house by showing proof of residency. This pass allows residents to make up to 3 trips per calendar year without having to purchase a 2 year Hatch Hill Permit. You will need to pay the tipping fee to dispose of your items; however the residential pass is free. For more information on these costs, please refer to the website listed below, or call 626-2440.
- Contact a private hauler. In the Yellow Pages of your local telephone book under Garbage Removal, there are various vendors listed for hire.
Where can I safely dispose of my "sharps" and unused/unwanted medication & drugs?